[Dune-devel] vX.Y.Z.alpha tags

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Fri Nov 26 09:48:17 CET 2021

> All we're asking is for a mechanism to provide upgrades to the pypi packages that allow us to tell users for are now working with a buggy package to simply run
>    pip install --upgrade
> to get a bugfix in the same way we would tell C++ users on the release branch to do git pull if we fixed a bug.
> We would have preferred to have a well-defined state in the repositories to do that if possible.

IMHO if the code in the dune-common is broken for a part of the
feature set (e.g. for python bindings) and we have now a fix, this
qualifies for a quick bug-fix release. And then also the versioning would be clear.

The situation in Debian (as it was mentioned before) is different, as
the source code it self didn't change, but the package information
that are managed separately have changed. Thus it is not possible to
reflect these changes in the version number of the software, but the
package appends this infot via a '-1', '-2', etc. to the package
version.

Ciao
Christian

PS: great that dune works now via pypi! Thanks :-)