[Dune-devel] Grid-Entity ownership in distributed ALUGrid or UGGrid

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Sat Oct 9 11:16:57 CEST 2021

Hi everyone,

Recently in a dune-functions meeting we wanted to explore the
design-space of how we can support users with the parallelization of
their code, i.e., using a dune-functions basis on a distributed grid, in
combination with, e.g., the dune-istl data-structures. When working on
some examples, I noticed that one of the first steps seems always to be
to identify unique ownership of grid entities, i.e., can we assign
uniquely a processor rank that "owns" a given grid entity or can we tell
whether we are the master over a local entity. This is the basis for
building up a communication pattern for the actual DOFs in a
discretization. In multiple frameworks this ownership identification is
implemented a similar way, e.g. in dune-pdelab, AMDiS, and
dune/grid/utility/globalindexset.hh . I was wondering: the information
on which other rank an entity is present and the identification of one
master rank should be actually available in the grid implementation
already, to build up the grid communication. However, the public grid
interface does not provide access to this information. It is probably
encoded in different ways in each grid manager.

My question is: can the information about entity ownership, or the set
of other ranks an entity belongs to, be extracted in the specific
implementation of some grids, e.g. ALUGrid, or UGGrid, or YaspGrid, or
SPGrid, maybe also in the ParallelGrid meta-grid wrapper? Without
additional communication? If so, maybe we could discuss a common
interface and develop a utility for dune-grid to easily provide this
information. A fallback implementation can be provided using
communication and is part of the implementation details of
GlobalIndexSet of dune-grid. I think, this is a necessary utility for
implementing parallel frameworks on top of the grid module, without
reinventing the wheel.

Best regards,
Simon

--