[Dune-devel] Grid-Entity ownership in distributed ALUGrid or UGGrid

Oliver Sander oliver.sander at tu-dresden.de
Mon Oct 11 16:43:55 CEST 2021

Hi Simon,

> My question is: can the information about entity ownership, or the set of other ranks an entity belongs to, be extracted in the specific implementation of some grids, e.g. ALUGrid, or UGGrid, or YaspGrid, or SPGrid, maybe also in the ParallelGrid meta-grid wrapper? Without additional communication?

this information is readily available within the UGGrid implementation.
I do agree with you that making it officially available somehow
would be a good idea.

  If so, maybe we could discuss a common interface and develop a utility for dune-grid to easily provide this information. A fallback implementation can be provided using communication and is part of the implementation details of GlobalIndexSet of dune-grid. I think, this is a necessary utility for implementing parallel frameworks on top of the grid module, without reinventing the wheel.