[Dune-devel] VTK HDF5 Format

Simon Praetorius simon.praetorius at tu-dresden.de
Tue Nov 15 13:42:45 CET 2022

Hi everyone,

Recently (July 2022) the VTK library added direct support for a VTK HDF5
format, see https://www.kitware.com/vtk-hdf-reader/ Would this be
interesting for anyone to have directly in Dune as a writer? Maybe
related also the XDMF Format. We are always looking for a way to write
lots of files, e.g., a highly partitioned domain in an instationary
process with many timesteps. In HPC centers typically there is a quota
in number of files and total disc space. Could there a HDF5 filewriter
help?

The dune-vtk module provides also some solutions for our problems, e.g.,
one can write timeseries files, where all timesteps are stored in a
single vtu file. Also the compressed output helps to reduce the total
size, bit both come also with a price.

Is anyone interested in implementing HDF5 support? Maybe we could extend
the dune-vtk module in this direction. Not sure whether paraview does
support VTK HDF5 directly.  (I have found MRs in the paraview git
related to this)

Best,
Simon

--