[Dune-devel] Using Ceph S3 object store for Container Registry

Ansgar Burchardt ansgar.burchardt at tu-dresden.de
Tue Oct 11 17:12:10 CEST 2022

Hi,

I would like to try using a Ceph/S3-backed object store[1] instead of a
local filesystem for the Container Registry. One reason is that I'm
interested in seeing how this works, but there are also other small
advantages and disadvantages I can see:

Advantages:
 - Easier to resize storage (just ask for quota adjustment,
   no resizing of partition table and filesystem)
 - Might be useful for running Gitlab Pages on second VM
   (when using S3 for artifacts as well)
 - Can migrate Container registry storage independenly

Disadvantages:
 - Monitoring: different from local disk

As far as I understand, we can still move back to storage based on the
local filesystem: just reverse the steps from syncing files from local
storage to s3 for the registry from [2].

Any comments or thoughts on this?

Ansgar

  [1]: https://tu-dresden.de/zih/dienste/service-katalog/arbeitsumgebung/datenspeicher/objektspeicher-s3
  [2]: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/administration/packages/container_registry.html#migrate-to-object-storage-without-downtime