[Dune-devel] Tensor data structures and operations on tensors

Christoph Grüninger foss at grueninger.de
Tue Sep 6 08:07:30 CEST 2022

Hi Simon,
year suggestion reads neat! I would like to get a unified data type for
vectors and matrices. Just be sure: The core of the data structure is an
unmodified mdarray/mdspan as it is proposed to C++23 or some later
version. You just added some helper functions to get mathematical
operations done, right? Thanks for all the effort you put into this!

In the long run, this could lead a central data structure to be
compatilbe across the C++ world compared to a bunch of Dune-specific
classes.

In general, I support your suggestions. I would wait with adding it to
Dune core until mdarray/mdspan are voted into the standard. Not sure how
to make a transition. Could be, that we have the old and the new classes
living peaceful side by side for a long time. Would we okay for me.

L'enjeu est de bâtir la France de nos enfants,
pas de ressasser la France de notre enfance.
                        [Emmanuel Macron, 2022]