[dune-fem] Hessian not implemented for DG shape function set

Pravin Madhavan pravin.madhavan87 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 00:15:46 CEST 2013

Dear dune-fem community,

I am working on the implementation of an a posteriori error estimator for a
discontinuous Galerkin (DG) method on surfaces (world dimension = 3, grid
dimension = 2). I have recently moved from the release versions of the dune
modules (version 2.2.1) and the dune-fem module (version 1.3.1) to the
latest respository version of the dune and dune-fem modules.

In my code I compute the hessian of a local function u_h of a DG discrete
function i.e. u_h.hessian( x, hess ). With the repository version of the
modules I get the following compile time error:

Error: NotImplemented [*hessianEach*
:[...]/dune-fem/dune/fem/space/discontinuousgalerkin/*shapefunctionset.hh*:308]:
Hessian not implemented for this shape function set.

I was wondering why this method was not implemented and how I can go about
implementing it. When using the release version of the dune modules,
everything seems to be working fine and the *hessianAll* method in
dune/fem/space/basefunctions/*basefunctionsetinterface.hh* is called
instead. Is this method correctly implemented for my setting? Thank you.

Best wishes,
Pravin