[dune-fem] VTK output, data prefix and such

Claus-Justus Heine Claus-Justus.Heine at ians.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Jul 2 15:14:44 CEST 2013

Hi there,

just a minor question (sed is your friend ...): the VTK "meta"-files
produced by Dune::Fem (i.e. pvd, pvtu) store the file names of the real
data files with the full path information given by the fem.prefix and
fem.io.path parameters. If I now use a relative path, then at least my
version of Paraview (when loading a pvd file, e.g.) appends the relative
paths of the data-files to the path-information of the pvd-file, e.g.:

<DataSet timestep="0" group="" part="0"
file="output/L-shape-1e-6/s0001-carbonation000000.pvtu"/>

When I then try to load the pvd-file from the same output directory,
Paraview searches for

PATH_TO_OUTPUT/output/L-shape-1e-6/output/L-shape-1e-6/s0001-carbonation000000.pvtu

which, of course, is not there. Using only the basename of the file
would perhaps help, but reading through dune/fem/io/dataoutput.hh
suggests that there might be issues with parallel runs.

I could, of course, use an absolute path, but that is not very handy.
And yes, the code from the school (or from Robert?) tricks around this
by appending a "../" to the path, but this hacks it only for a directory
depth of 1, meaning:

program located and run from sub-directory src/
prefix is ../output/

Then loading a pvd-file from ../ouput/ will make paraview search for

PATH_TO_OUTPUT/output/../output/DATA_FILE

which of course works.

How do you handle this issue?

Thanks,

Claus

--
Dr. Claus-Justus Heine
Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Simulation

Fon: +49 (0) 711 - 685 65558
Fax: +49 (0) 711 - 685 65507