[dune-fem] Petsc test fails in parallel case

Tobias Malkmus tomalk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jul 31 13:54:55 CEST 2014

A further hint to this.

If compiled with debug flags an assertion fails, namely:

void Dune::Fem::PetscVector<DFSpace>::init() [with DFSpace =
Dune::Fem::LagrangeDiscreteFunctionSpace<Dune::Fem::FunctionSpace<double,
double, 3, 1>, Dune::Fem::AdaptiveLeafGridPart<Dune::ALUGrid<3, 3,
(Dune::ALUGridElementType)0u, (Dune::ALUGridRefinementType)1u> >, 1>]:
Assertion `int( ghostArrayBuilder.size() ) ==
dofMapping().numSlaveBlocks()' failed

It only fails in parallel and for Griddim = 3 in combination with
LagrangeDiscretFunctionSpaces.

Best Tobias

On 07/31/2014 01:45 PM, Sacconi, Andrea wrote:
> [...]
>> the CG Inverse Operator from dune-fem and the CG from ISTL.
>> Again, Petsc doesn't proceed (same error above), while both
>> dune-fem and ISTL classes work perfectly fine.
>>
>> I forgot to mention, I'm using the stable release 1.4.0 and not
>> the trunk.
>>
>> Cheers, Andrea
>>
>> Andrea Sacconi PhD student, Applied Mathematics AMMP Section,
>> Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London, London SW7
>> 2AZ, UK a.sacconi11 at imperial.ac.uk
>>
>> ________________________________________ From:
>> dune-fem-bounces+a.sacconi11=imperial.ac.uk at dune-project.org
>> [dune-fem-bounces+a.sacconi11=imperial.ac.uk at dune-project.org]
>> on behalf of Tobias Malkmus [tomalk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de]
>> Sent: 31 July 2014 10:02 To: Dedner, Andreas;
>> dune-fem at dune-project.org Subject: Re: [dune-fem] Petsc test
>> fails in parallel case
>>
>> Hi Andreas
>>
>> I tested it with YaspGrid<2> and the test fails, due to some
>> communication errors within Yasp. Since the problem also exists
>> for the l2projection_istl test i assume that this is a bug which
>> is not related to Petsc.
>>
>> Best Tobias
>>
>> On 07/31/2014 10:35 AM, Dedner, Andreas wrote:
>>> Hi Tobias. Thanks for taking a look.. Could you repeat the
>>> test with yasp<2> because that was the default in the test
>>> within the release version. Thanks Andreas
>>

>>> Sent from Samsung Mobile
>>

>>> -------- Original message -------- From: Tobias Malkmus
>>> Date:31/07/2014 09:14 (GMT+00:00) To:
>>> dune-fem at dune-project.org Subject: Re: [dune-fem] Petsc test
>>> fails in parallel case
>>
>>> Hi Andrea and Andreas
>>
>>> I tested the l2projection test for petsc (now in
>>> dune/fem/test/l2projection_petsc) and the solver example
>>> within the howto with the newest petsc version ( 3.5 ).
>>
>>> I can not see any problems in parallel/ serial using
>>> ALURGRID_SIMPLEX as the grid type and openmpi 1.8.1 in the
>>> master branch.
>>
>>> For the release branch the 'old' test fails at another place.
>>> I will look into it. The solver example still works fine.
>>
>>> As Andreas allready said, petsc tries to catch all errors and
>>> reports them to dune. Dune (fem) reports them as a Petsc
>>> error, although it might be a SegFault or an other system
>>> error.
>>
>>> In you case Andrea, Petsc reports a segmentation fault: PETSC
>>> ERROR: Caught signal number 11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation,
>>> probably memory access out of range
>>
>>> First try to compile this test with CXXFLAGS="-Wall -g" to
>>> enable all the asserts. Please report the error messages from
>>> this test.
>>
>>> Could you please further check wether the solver example in
>>> the howto shows the same behavior.
>>

>>> Best Tobias

> - -- Tobias Malkmus                 <tomalk at
> mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>
>
> Mathematisches Institut               Tel: +49 761 203 5627 Abt.
> für Angewandte Mathematik        Universität Freiburg

- --