[dune-fem] periodic conforming FE

Andreas Dedner a.s.dedner at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Jun 5 10:38:24 CEST 2015

Hi.
I need a periodic conforming FE discretization. I know that there have
been different approaches
and I was wondering if someone has something lying around in some branch.

If not then my idea was to do it along the lines of the Constraints
class, i.e., postporcessing the
matrix and the rhs after normal assembly as we do it for the dirichlet
data. Basically I wanted to
identify the parallel nodes, setup a master/slave vector. Then the rows
in the matrix belonging to slave(s)
are added to the row of the master and the rows for the slaves is
replaced by a (0..0 -1 0...0 1 0...0)
leading to u_s-u_m = 0. This would require some more methods on the
linear operator class similar to
clear row.
If somebody has some better idea I would be happy to hear about it.

Second question: for those developing grids what semantics for periodic
boundaries did you assume (if any).
I know that this has never been defined very well in the dune interface.
Is it
      intersection.neighbor()=true and intersection.boundary()=true and
      intersection.outside return a "ghost"?
The documentation also states that the index of that ghost is different
from the index of the periodic inner element (ids are the same. But DG
seems to work out of the box so I'm assuming in dune-fem its done
differently....

Thanks for any pointers, best
Andreas