[dune-fem] df.communicate

Andreas Dedner a.s.dedner at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Oct 27 12:29:01 CET 2015

Hi.
A few times now I had the problem that when executing different methods
communicate on a discrete function was called more then once. For dg
functions that is not a problem but for lagrange type functions (okay
functionals) that's a major headache since dofs are added up during
communication. So an example is in the howto where both the application
of the operator does a communicate and assembleRHS does one as well. It
is not that easy to get rid of - in the assembleRHS it could be removed
but the operator() has to call communicate at the moment otherwise the
Newton solver wouldn't work (it assumes that the functional is
completely computed after the call to operator().
I was wondering if others have had that problem (as I said dg people
once again have an easy life here...). Does someone have an idea of how
to solve this? A similar problem btw is with the call to clear....
Should we remove clear/communicate from the operators and have the
solvers, i.e., Newton etc do the corresponding calls?
I am really not quite sure what a good solution is but the situation is
complicated because it is difficult to keep track of the places where
clear/communicate might be called....
Andreas