[dune-functions] Documentation

Carsten Gräser graeser at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 21 11:39:13 CEST 2015

Hi Oliver,

Am 21.09.2015 um 10:57 schrieb Oliver Sander:
> Hi guys,
>
> if we want to convince people of dune-functions next week we need at least a
> minimal amount of documentation.  As a start, I have written a short web page
> presenting the module, and uploaded it to dune-web.  Please read it and append/fix
> it if you think that's necessary.
thanks a lot for this. I'll have a look.

> We may also have a look at the doxygen documentation of dune-functions.
> Certainly there's room for improvement here :-)  Can somebody please link the
> new web page to the doxygen stuff?  I don't know how.
In order to make the global basis usable I had to add
some stuff, see my elaborate mails and commit messages.
Most important are perhaps node.treeIndex(), FlatMultiIndex,
SizeInfo and HierarchicVectorWrapper. Those turned out to be
vital to implement something as simple as

A) (basis,vector)->function
B) (basis,function)->vector

for nontrival trees, or for keeping things simple for trivial trees.
This was also necessary to drop all the vector copies in the
stokes example needed just for writing and interpolating data.

Before adding detailed documentation for this and before
starting to advertise this I'd like to know if these
additions/changes are OK for you.

> Finally, I have also started to write prose explaining how the stokes-taylorhood.cc example
> works. I wrote that for the book, and it actually describes a separate implementation
> which uses MultiTypeBlockMatrices for the linear algebra.  If I find the time I may
> factor out that text into a separate document and upload it to dune-functions itself.

It would be very nice, if you could add this example to
dune-functions. I'd really like to have A and B working
for this and I have the impression that it mostly is,
once you add support for multi-type containers to the
HierarchicVectorWrapper or provide an alternative wrapper.
But in some places I'm not sure.

The reason for this is, that these A and B are a good
indicator if the interface is rich enough/usable in
such cases. If you can't implement A and B, we may
have to adjust the interface. And this should be done
as soon as possible.

Best,
Carsten