[dune-pdelab] Visualization of Gauss point data

Nicolas Schwenck nicolas.schwenck at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jul 20 15:04:43 CEST 2011

On 07/20/2011 02:45 PM, Christian Simon wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I moved this question from the dune mailing list to the dune-pdelab
> mailing list.
>
> Here is the problem:
> I computed stresses at the Gauss points resulting from the deformation
> gradients in my local operator. Now I wonder, how I can visualize
> these stresses via vtkwriter directly from the local operator, which
> is on element basis, without a second calculation of the variable in
> the driver *_Q2.hh or somewhere else? Or is there a way to assign
> these stress values to a vector container and visualize it in the
> driver *_Q2.hh?
>
> Maybe it is possible to extrapolate these values to the nodes within
> the operator and assign the values to a vector container, which in
> turn can be visualized by the vtkwriter?
>
> Is this there a solution for this problem?

Dear Christian,

Just to clarify:

Do you have the deformation as primary variable for which you solve and
with this solution you reconstruct the stress?

If that is true I don't get why do you have the stress in the local
operator.

Or do you use a mixed approach, where you solve for the stress and
deformation? But then you still would get the solution not in the
operator but in the driver as a solution vector.

Best,
Nicolas

Dipl.-Ing. Nicolas Schwenck

IWS, Universität Stuttgart 		     phone: +49 711 685 64736
Pfaffenwaldring 61			     fax:   +49 711 685 60430
D-70569 Stuttgart

             email: nicolas.schwenck at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
                 url: www.hydrosys.uni-stuttgart.de