[dune-pdelab] Visualization of Gauss point data

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Wed Jul 20 15:13:03 CEST 2011

Hi Christian,

I know that Markus asked you to write to the pdelab list, but actually
this a problem of VTK. VTK can only handle point and cell
data. Visualization at quadraturepoints is not possible using VTK and
thus not possible using vtkwriter. What you can do is, use your data
and visualize "just" as pointdata ist using vtkwriter. This will give
you the values in cell vertices. If you have discontinuous data you
can pass the corresponding parameter to the vtkwriter. If you have
higher order data you can use the subsampling vtk writer.

How do you represent your stresses? Why do you compute these at the
gauss points? I suggest you first decide on the functions space for
your stresses and the use the appropriate discrete grid function. You
can now write an adapter which computes the stresses in a given point
and map the results to the discrete grid function using "interpolate".

Christian