[dune-pdelab] pre commit hooks

Jö Fahlke jorrit at jorrit.de
Wed May 18 21:49:18 CEST 2011

Am Wed, 18. May 2011, 14:10:52 +0200 schrieb Christian Engwer:
> Felix, Oliver and myself have been using a set of pre-commit hook for a while
> in our dune-udg and dune-grid-glue project. These hooks check that no
> new tabs are introduced in the source code.
>
> I think it would a wise to add these hooks to the pdelab repositories
> as well.
>
> Does anybody have any objections?

Go on as far as I'm concerned.

I also have an idea for another hook, which is interesing for git-users (or
users of other systems which lets you batch up commits before actually
submitting them).  There are often some deprecation warnings which one can do
very little about and which clog the compiler output to the point where one
overlooks other more important messages.  For instance, the EntitySeed stuff.
I can disable these warnings locally and store the necessary changes in a
commit which I never indend to submit to the svn.  However, each time I submit
my batched up commits I have to make sure not to commit these local commits as
well.  Another candidate would be a local commit with .gitignore files.

My idea to avoid accidents of this kind is as follows: I start the commit
message for the local commits with something like "!DON'T COMMIT!", and a hook
on the server then rejects any commit which has this marker.  Would this be
difficult to implement?

Bye,
Jö.

--
Interpunktion, Orthographie und Grammatik der Email ist frei erfunden.
Eine Übereinstimmung mit aktuellen oder ehemaligen Regeln wäre rein