[dune-pdelab] Parallel (block?) preconditioners

Eike Mueller E.Mueller at bath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 14:53:23 CET 2011

Hi Christian,

many thanks for your reply. I guess in the overlapping case ILU0 will
consider the couplings A_{ij} if i is local to the processor and j is
within the overlap region (in my case I use an overlap of 1).

So if I have, for example, a 1d problem with 8 unknowns represented by a
graph like this:

o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o, it will decompose this into

o--o--o--o--x (processor 1) and x--o--o--o--o (processor 2)

(o denotes unknowns, x denotes overlap elements and -- couplings)

the serial matrix will be 10x10, and will be ILU0 decomposed and
inverted (whenever the preconditioner is applied), but in the parallel
case, each processor will store a 5x5 matrix, which will be ILU0
decomposed and inverted locally (whenever the preconditioner is
applied), the ISTL consistency model enforces that the vector the
preconditioner is applied to is in a unique representation before
application of the preconditioner and the result is in a consistent
representation (as defined in P. Bastian, M. Blatt. On the Generic
Parallelisation of Iterative Solvers for the Finite Element Method In
Int. J. Computational Science and Engineering,4(1):56-69, 2008).

I can imagine that inverting the two 5x5 ILU0 matrices and converting to
a consistent representation will give a different result than inverting
the 10x10 ILU0 matrix on one processor (ok, in the 1d case it might not
give a different result, but in the 2/3d equivalent it probably will),
although it is not completely obvious to me at the moment. I can see
what happens for 5 sweeps of SSOR in overlapping domains as above, if
the halos are not swapped between the sweeps, then this will of course
be different than doing 5 sweeps on the  entire domain.

Apologies for thinking aloud...

Eike