[dune-pdelab] Strongly and weakly imposed boundary conditions

Felix Heimann felix.heimann at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Oct 5 11:34:04 CEST 2011

Hi Christian,

to realize standard (or strong) Dirichlet boundary conditions in PDELab,
you have to set the corresponding degrees of freedom to the values
defined by the Dirichlet condition (typically done via a call of
Dune::PDELab::interpolate(..) or automatically done by the one step
method ). Afterwards you have to tell the grid operator, that these
degrees of freedom are constrained (typically done by a call of
Dune::PDELab::constraints(..) ). There are multiple examples for this in
the pdelab-howto. If you are working with a non-trivial
GridFunctionTree, then consider especially the examples for the
Navier-Stokes equations.

If you think it is reasonable to do so, you can in principle use a
different function for the interpolate call than you pass to the local
operator as "weak-Dirichlet" boundary function.

To find out which boundary condition is to be used where you have to use
a indicator function. Here you definitely use always the same function.
There are various examples for this too in the pdelab-howto (also see
the Navier-Stokes example).

I am not really sure I got your point, so feel free to elucidate...

Best Regards,
Felix