[dune-pdelab] [dune-pdelab-commit] dune-pdelab r1995 - trunk/dune/pdelab/common

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Thu Apr 26 11:41:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:42:40PM +0200, Christian Engwer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 06:03:02PM +0200, mblatt at conan.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de wrote:
> >
> > The ****ing svn hook not allowing one add tabs is rather annoying and
> > time consuming. It is not that smart, anyway.
>
> Do you have a better hook?

No. As the problem is based on the diff works there is probably none.

Still I question the usefulness of it as
1. it prevents one from changing just a few words in a line
2. refactoring e.g. function names with grep probably won't work
3. Tempts one to untabify the whole buffer, which make comparing
   revisions very difficult.
3. creates additional conflicts because of whitespace changes when merging.

I am very much in favor of removing it and putting suitable emacs and
vi directives in all source files.

Anyway I am pretty sure that most of us already have deactivated
tabs. But you never know.

Maybe a hook that sends a warning to some list if there were new tabs
would be good.

Cheers,

Markus
--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858  Fax: +49 (0)322 1108991658