[dune-pdelab] Element-Jacobians by Automatic Differentiation

Peter Bastian peter.bastian at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Aug 10 14:39:05 CEST 2012

Dear Christian,

this is really cool. I thought about this from the beginning. We have a
Master student (computer science) here who is interested to do this as
a master thesis (I think he wants to start in a few months).
So there is definitively interest in having this in PDELab (!) and
we should see that the student takes off from where you are...
BTW, which automatic differentiation software do you work with?

Best,

Peter

Am 09.08.2012 um 09:25 schrieb Christian Waluga <christian.waluga at gmail.com>:

> Dear PDELab-Developers/Users
>
> I have implemented a proof of concept that demonstrates the assembly of element-Jacobians
> in dune-pdelab by automatic instead of numeric differentiation (using an operator-overloading
> automatic differentiation approach).
>
> So far, the code is neither tuned for performance nor feature-complete (only volume Jacobians
> are implemented atm, but the rest should be more or less copy & paste-work). I managed to run
> the poisson.hh test-case from pdelab and it seems to work fine. Basically to get this running,
> one only needs to derive the local operators from a new AutomaticDifferentiationJacobian-class
> and perhaps make some minor adjustments to the local operator (which should be compatible with
> the NumericalJacobian-classes).
>
> However, before I put more work into this, I want to ask: Is there some interest in such an
> addition to PDELab in the future? If yes, is anybody interested in looking at possible performance
> improvements with me? My first shot is rather slow for higher orders and 3D cases, and there
> should be much room for performance tuning. I will do some tuning myself and add more features,
> when I find the time. In the meantime, if you are interested in looking at the code please ask.
>
> Best, Christian

Peter Bastian
Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Wissenschaftliches Rechnen
Universität Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 368
D-69120 Heidelberg
Tel: 0049 (0) 6221 548261