[dune-pdelab] P2 in parallel

Bernd Flemisch bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Jan 9 18:02:44 CET 2012

Ok, actually it is quite obvious. The backends derived from
ISTLBackend_NOVLP_BASE_PREC employ parallel preconditioners which make
use of the class VertexExchanger to sum up matrix entries corresponding
to border vertices (I am partly responsible for this). No edges are
treated there and that seems to mess up the result.

So the immediate solution is to use non-preconditioned parallel solvers.
Of course this is only feasible as long as your systems don't get too big.

I will have a look at extending the VertexExchanger to also deal with
edges and faces.

Kind regards
Bernd

On 01/09/2012 05:24 PM, Bernd Flemisch wrote:
> Hey Volker,
>
> the choice of the solver backend has a dramatic impact. If I choose
> ISTLBackend_NOVLP_CG_NOPREC instead of ISTLBackend_NOVLP_BCGS_SSORk,
> the solution looks correct. I will dig a bit deeper and try to find
> the reason.
>
> Kind regards
> Bernd
>
> On 12/23/2011 11:07 AM, Volker Schauer wrote:
>> Thanks Bernd,
>>
>> this helps in the way that the problem is probably into pdelab and not
>> on wrong assumptions on my side.
>>
>> Then have a good christmas time
>>
>> Volker

Bernd Flemisch                               phone: +49 711 685 69162
IWS, Universität Stuttgart                   fax:   +49 711 685 60430
Pfaffenwaldring 61                  email: bernd at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
D-70569 Stuttgart                  url: www.hydrosys.uni-stuttgart.de