[dune-pdelab] Nonoverlapping solver backend for implicit time-steppers

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Oct 30 11:42:17 CET 2012

Hi Jared,

what do you mean by parallelizing the system? I assume you ran this in parallel,
and that's when the problems cropped up?

Having said that, your example uses a nonoverlapping solver, not an overlapping
one as per Christian's suggestion. For DG, that won't work just like that, as the
per-processor domains are not coupled in any way (with nonoverlapping assembly,
the processes only share DOFs with codim > 0, those attached to a Border entity in
Dune-speak, and you don't have any DOFs of that type with a DG method). I'd suggest
you switch to an overlapping method like Christian said.

Apart from that, you cannot use the nonoverlapping Jacobi preconditioner here, as
the nonoverlapping Jacobi implementation in PDELab currently is not block-aware
and will thus not invert the dense DG blocks on the diagonal, but only the diagonal
of those blocks.

Steffen