[dune-pdelab] Method gridView() in non-leaf GridFunctionSubSpace's

Jurgis Pods jurgis.pods at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Sep 13 18:00:49 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a question regarding the GridFunctionSubSpace in PDELab. I don't
know if I understand it correctly, but the Power/Composite
specializations do seem to assume that the father's gridview has the
same type as their own gridview:

// get grid view
const typename Traits::GridViewType& gridView () const
{
    return pgfs->gridView();
}

This is reasonable for the PDE grid function spaces, as they have to
have the same gridview when stacking them together. But when using
dune-multidomain, the MultiDomainGridFunctionSpace in general does not
have the same gridview as its childs. This leads to my question: Would
it cause problems to change the methods gridview()/gridView() in the
Power/Composite-GridFunctionSubSpace's to

// get grid view
const typename Traits::GridViewType& gridView () const
{
    return pcgfs->gridView();
}

, i.e. changing pgfs to p*c*gfs and refrain from using the father
gridview? This is also how it is done for the leaf-specialization.
I am currently having huge problems creating those non-leaf SubGFS's for
a MultiGFS and would be glad if I could simply change those methods
without breaking existing code.

Cheers,
Jurgis