[dune-pdelab] Current policy for gcc compatibility?

Christoph GrĂ¼ninger christoph.grueninger at iws.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jun 28 15:45:39 CEST 2013

Hi Andreas,
usually Dune tries to stay compatible with GCC versions that were
released in the past five years.
Once you try to run Dune on a super computer, you thank the Dune
developers to be so restrictive.

Having a look at http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html we would support at
least 4.3 (GCC 4.3.6 was released June 27, 2011) for the next three years.
The last Dune release 2.2 tried to stay compatible with GCC 4.1 because
some users had (super) computers with this version installed. I doubt
that this can be achieved for Dune 2.3. We need newer version of
autotools that are not available on these old systems.

Bye
Christoph

P.S.: According to our rule, dropping support for GCC 4.6 is possible on
April 12, 2018.

--
The Romans didn't find algebra very challenging,
because X was always 10.