[dune-pdelab] Sending bytes in communication breaks portability

Markus Blatt markus at dr-blatt.de
Fri Jun 27 16:32:08 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 12:32:45PM +0200, Christian Engwer wrote:

> The template MPI data wrappers in common do exactly the same, they
> fold everything into a char array and send this.

Are you sure? I tink I wrote them, and they correctly use the
corresponding MPI_Datatypes. For all others (that I knew were used by
some part) a correct new MPI_Datatype is constructed. This approach
can also be used by users for their own custom datatypes. Only for
unknown datatypes the default might be to use bytes. IMHO, that should
probably be deactivated and an error should be thrown.

> While it is
> definitely a good idea to fix this particular case in pdelab, we will
> still have the general problem of sending data dune.

What the grid implementations do, is another issue. But that should
not be an argument for continuing to do this.

Markus

--
Do you need more support with DUNE or HPC in general?

Hans-Bunte-Str. 8-10, 69123 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 160 97590858