[dune-pdelab] Getting started using DUNE/PDELab on Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr.

Ansgar Bohmann ansgar.bohmann at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Apr 16 18:13:06 CEST 2015

Hello all together!

In 2012 I participated in the DUNE/PDELab course and now I finally want
to get started using it.

I'm pretty sure that I have all prerequisites installed on my machine
(running Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr with gcc 4.8.2, automake 1.14.1,
autoconf 2.69, libtool 2.4.2, cmake 2.8.12.2, ...). I've tried to
install DUNE/PDELab in various ways but each failed with different error
messages while running

  ./dune-common-2.3.1/bin/dunecontrol all

I tried to install the following packages:

DUNE: dune-common, dune-geometry, dune-grid, dune-grid-howto, dune-istl,
dune-localfunctions, dune-typetree

PDELab: dune-pdelab, dune-pdelab-howto

by:

1) Both DUNE (2.3.1) and PDELab (2.0.0) from tarball

2) DUNE (2.3.1) from tarball,
   PDELab  via   git clone -b releases/2.0

3) DUNE    via   git clone -b releases/2.3 ,
   PDELab  via   git clone -b releases/2.0

4) Both DUNE and PDELab  via   git (master).

I don't include the error messages here since I don't know which way is
the most promising to continue.

5) After all these failed, I set up a virtual machine with the beta2 of
Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet and installed DUNE (2.3.1) and PDELab (2.0.0)
from the repositories.

This finally works. But I'm unsure whether this is the recommended way
to go. Is worth upgrading to Vivid in order to use the packaged version?
I guess once I get it running I'm better off using git with the branches
releases/2.3 and releases/2.0 respectively (I guess there I could profit
from more recent bug fixes…).

By the way, can I still use the printouts and examples from the 2012
course? Is the documentation from 2009 on the build system still up to date?

Thank you in advance!
Ansgar

(Well, usually this doesn't happen with my first name... Please don't
get confused! There's another Ansgar even with a not too different
surname but a lot more experience somewhere around here.)