[dune-pdelab] Fwd: dune-pdelab post from ansgar.bohmann at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de requires approval

Steffen Müthing steffen.muething at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Apr 16 18:59:23 CEST 2015

Hi Ansgar,

your mail got bounced because you aren’t subscribed to the dune-pdelab mailing list. You can
register at http://lists.dune-project.org/mailman/listinfo/dune-pdelab.

> Anfang der weitergeleiteten Nachricht:
>
> Von: dune-pdelab-owner at dune-project.org
> Betreff: dune-pdelab post from ansgar.bohmann at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de requires approval
> Datum: 16. April 2015 18:13:07 MESZ
> An: dune-pdelab-owner at dune-project.org
>
> As list administrator, your authorization is requested for the
> following mailing list posting:
>
>    List:    dune-pdelab at dune-project.org
>    From:    ansgar.bohmann at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de
>    Subject: Getting started using DUNE/PDELab on Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr.
>    Reason:  Post by non-member to a members-only list
>
> At your convenience, visit:
>
>    http://lists.dune-project.org/mailman/admindb/dune-pdelab
>
> to approve or deny the request.
>
> Von: Ansgar Bohmann <ansgar.bohmann at bioquant.uni-heidelberg.de>
> Betreff: Getting started using DUNE/PDELab on Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr.
> Datum: 16. April 2015 18:13:06 MESZ
> An: dune-pdelab at dune-project.org
>

> Hello all together!
>
> In 2012 I participated in the DUNE/PDELab course and now I finally want
> to get started using it.

that’s great to hear!

> I'm pretty sure that I have all prerequisites installed on my machine
> (running Ubuntu 14.04, Trusty Tahr with gcc 4.8.2, automake 1.14.1,
> autoconf 2.69, libtool 2.4.2, cmake 2.8.12.2, ...). I've tried to
> install DUNE/PDELab in various ways but each failed with different error
> messages while running
>
>  ./dune-common-2.3.1/bin/dunecontrol all
>
> I tried to install the following packages:
>
> DUNE: dune-common, dune-geometry, dune-grid, dune-grid-howto, dune-istl,
> dune-localfunctions, dune-typetree
>
> PDELab: dune-pdelab, dune-pdelab-howto
>
> by:
>
> 1) Both DUNE (2.3.1) and PDELab (2.0.0) from tarball
>
> 2) DUNE (2.3.1) from tarball,
>   PDELab  via   git clone -b releases/2.0
>
> 3) DUNE    via   git clone -b releases/2.3 ,
>   PDELab  via   git clone -b releases/2.0
>
> 4) Both DUNE and PDELab  via   git (master).
>
> I don't include the error messages here since I don't know which way is
> the most promising to continue.

That is really strange. The problem is that there are three distinct stages at
which the build may fail (autogen, configure and make). Could you perhaps
post the last ~50 lines of console output before the failure? With that info,
people on the list will be able to get a general idea of what is going wrong.

> 5) After all these failed, I set up a virtual machine with the beta2 of
> Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet and installed DUNE (2.3.1) and PDELab (2.0.0)
> from the repositories.
>
> This finally works. But I'm unsure whether this is the recommended way
> to go. Is worth upgrading to Vivid in order to use the packaged version?
> I guess once I get it running I'm better off using git with the branches
> releases/2.3 and releases/2.0 respectively (I guess there I could profit
> from more recent bug fixes…).

Yes, especially considering that there is a new release (2.4) around the corner.

> By the way, can I still use the printouts and examples from the 2012
> course? Is the documentation from 2009 on the build system still up to date?

Even better, you can download the updated version from this year from

http://conan2.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/git/dune-course/course-2015

That module contains a one-touch setup script called build-external.sh.
Maybe you can get up and running with the help of that script (take a look
at it, it contains some documentation at the top).

The build system info is definitely outdated, especially because we are
switching from autotools to CMake with the next release.

Cheers,
Steffen