[dune-pdelab] Adaptive Grid Refinement Algorithms

Dion Häfner dhaefner at iup.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jan 19 12:52:44 CET 2015

Dear PDElab developers,

I implemented grid adaptivity into my module following example 7 from
the PDElab-howto (src/course-examples/example07_adaptivity.hh), and
everything works fine so far. However, there are two 'strategies'
mentioned in the code to choose from:

//<<<10>>>Adapt the grid locally . . .
// with strategy 1:
Dune : : PDELab : : element_fraction ( eta , alpha , beta , eta_alpha ,
eta_beta , verbose ) ;
// or , alternatively , with strategy 2:
//Dune : :PDELab: : error_fraction ( eta , alpha , beta , eta_alpha ,
eta_beta , verbose );

So, I was wondering, how exactly the two strategies 'element fraction'
and 'error fraction' differed. A quick google search did not yield any
viable results, so I figured I would ask here, if someone could roughly
sketch the difference between the two methods for me or recommend
further literature, where the two strategies are explained.

Thank you in advance,
Dion Häfner