[dune-pdelab] Request for user input

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Fri Jul 3 18:01:02 CEST 2015

Dear all,

we are currently trying out new ways to organise the PDELab
work-flow. In this coarse I'd like to make it easier for users and
"external" contributors to participate in discussions and to get
involved in the decision process.

a) I'd like you to comment on a couple of open questions (listed below)
b) We have come up with an idea of how to make everybody aware of
   important discussions.

In particular I'd ask you to comment on the following issues, which
might have gone unnoticed until now:

- http://conan2.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/git/pdelab/dune-pdelab/issues/42
  The proposal is to reorganise the include structure. In particular
  we are interested in your opinion on (a) the proposed structure and
  (b) whether you think the effort of fixing deprecation is OK for the
  2.4 release, or whether it should wait until 3.0 and be done
  together with other major changes.
- http://conan2.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/git/pdelab/dune-pdelab/issues/27
  Although it is only related to one particular local operator, it is
  basically part of a bigger discussion about how to organise the
  structure of local operators and to which extend it is
  possible/desirable to create minimal building blocks.
- http://conan2.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/git/pdelab/dune-pdelab/issues/37
  There is the proposal to extend the adaptation code to handle
  multiple function spaces working on the same mesh. Is this a feature
  you'd need? How about the proposed interface.

The general situation is as follows:
We (experimentally) switched to gitlab as a development platform and
gitlab provides an integrated minimalistic issue-tracker. The nice
thing is that everything is stored in one common place (like the
flyspray for the core modules) and it even provides a simple voting
system. On the downside you only receive notifications about new
comments in the issue tracker _if_ you subscribed yourself.

In order to have the benefits of the issue tracker and still be
transparent, we suggest the following procedure:

- you assign the issues which need to be discussed to the user "pdelab-list"
  (Steffen will create this account)
- "pdelab-discussion" sends the emails to the pdelab mailing list
- you (preferably) reply directly in the issue
- you can down-/up-vote the proposal with +1 or -1

Cheers