[dune-pdelab] Request for user input

Oliver Sander sander at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Jul 6 13:06:09 CEST 2015

Hi,

> In particular I'd ask you to comment on the following issues, which
> might have gone unnoticed until now:

I can only comment on the second one:

 > - http://conan2.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/git/pdelab/dune-pdelab/issues/27
>   Although it is only related to one particular local operator, it is
>   basically part of a bigger discussion about how to organise the
>   structure of local operators and to which extend it is
>   possible/desirable to create minimal building blocks.

This is one aspect of the old complaint of the dune-fufem camp about the structure
of dune-pdelab.  Basically, in my (Carsten's, etc) view, the pdelab operator system
lacks one level of abstraction beneath the GridOperator.  It happens regularly that
I need to assemble a stiffness or mass matrix, or a load functional, without that
being part of an 'operator between functions space' or a residual formulation for
a PDE.  Simply example: sometimes you need the Laplace stiffness matrix because you
need the half-norm it creates for error control.  I'd like to be able to simply
create such a matrix with no frills, no constraints, no magic FD approximations etc.

The l2volumefunctional was a small attempt to have something like this in pdelab.
It does only one thing, but it is easy to understand.