[dune-pdelab] dune-pdelab | Get rid of numerical_jacobian (#45)

Christian Engwer christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de
Mon Jul 13 08:52:38 CEST 2015

I forgot to assign the issue to the list in the first place.

Here is the description:

Get rid of numerical_jacobian

Currently local operators decide for them selfs, whether to use
numerical differentiation or not. While it is convinient at first
sight, I consider it dangerous. I have heard quite some reports, where
people where surprised that their error didn't converge below single
precision accuracy, although they were computing with double.

I suggest to enforce a propoer jacobian implementation and
drop/deprecate the mixin classes. If you don't want it, or it is not
supported, this should be transparent to the user.

I see three options: a) add a wrapper class, which implement jacobian
by numerical diff. b) in addition to residual and jacobian we add an
additional method numerical_jacobian c) we add an enum parameter to
jacobian, which defaults to analytic_jacobian and the user can
explicitly call it with numerical_jacobian.