[dune-pdelab] New istl MatrixBackend considered less user friendly

Dominic Kempf dominic.r.kempf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:08:19 CEST 2015

Hey Oli,

as I was implementing the new matrix build mode back then, I can give you
some numbers and an idea of why it is so important.
The way it was implemented before, the following steps were done strictly
sequentially
1) Determine sparsity pattern and store it in a suitable (map-like) data
structure
2) Allocate storage for the BCRSMatrix
3) Build the sparsity pattern on the matrix using the data from 1)

The key problem here is peek memory usage: Step 1) has memory complexity
n*log(n) (n being the number of matrix entries),
Step 2) has complexity n. Both data structures need to be kept around until
step 3 is finished. Only then, the data structure
from 1) can be discarded.

The new algorithm works more like this:
1) Get some pattern statistics from the user
2) Allocate storage for the BCRSMatrix based on the given statistics
3) Build the sparsity pattern on-the-fly directly into the allocated storage
4) "Compress" the matrix (remove holes from underfill etc.)

Given a vanilla 2D Q1 poisson problem with around a million unknowns, the
peak usage dropped from 3.6 GB to 1.1 GB.
You can definitely see that the log(n) factor on the pattern-map's
complexity really does contribute here. You might
also extrapolate that for even larger problems (both in number of dofs and
in entries per row), the problem potentially poses a
bottleneck for the entire simulation code.

I agree, that some good documentation on the why and how of this would be
important.

Best,
Dominic