[dune-pdelab] Access to another cell in alpha_skeleton

Dominic Kempf dominic.r.kempf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:41:48 CEST 2020

Hey Jonas,

welcome to PDELab! I wished I had a better welcoming gift to you...

I am assuming that the scheme you are trying to implement is something like
Figure 1b from
"Nonlinear two-point flux approximation for modelingfull-tensor effects in
subsurface flow simulations"
by Chen et al. - correct me if I am wrong.

We get this question and variations of it a lot, and unfortunately the most
adequate answer is:
The assumption that a facet integral only depends on the two neighboring
cells
is built quite deeply into the PDELab assembler. That being said, there is
no clean solution to
your problem in PDELab.

I know that DuMux (www.dumux.org, a downstream project) has treated that
problem before.
I am not sure they are relying on the PDELab assembler in their
implementation, but it is worth
asking them.

Of course, things can always be hacked. Most probably one can do something
with precomputation
of all flux values at all intersection mid points, but I am not sure about
the details (e.g. I have no
clues about how jacobians for such a system could be computed).

Best,
Dominic