[Dune] Compiler.

Robert Kloefkorn robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu May 19 12:16:50 CEST 2005

Thimo Neubauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christian and I were thinking of automatic build tests to ensure a
> good compiler/OS compatibility. Unfortunately the tools we found were
> either in an early stage, undocumented, had security drawbacks or all
> of the above :) Hopefully a good solution appears in the near future
> so that we could put "building daemons" on some machines and
> automatically check for failures. http://buildbot.sf.net/ seemed nice
> but needed some heavy Python-scripting when we checked... if someone
> stumbles over a good solution please tell us :)

Sounds good. But also sounds like much work. I think we should stay
focus on the real problem, wirting numerical code. The problems, which
caused that icc7.0 didn't compile the code anymore, was the template
parameter in the entity class, code like this:

template <int codim,....>
class Entity
{
   template <int cc>
   struct codim
   {

   };

   typedef codim<codim>::.....

};

The problem is, that icc inherits typedefs, which means even if the
codim struct is only a typedef in a base class, this conflicts but also
is not as clear as naming the template parameter of the dune grid
interfaces different then internal typedefs, i.e. no int template
parameters named codim anymore. I just cleaned the interface classes in
dune/common/entity.hh, alu3dgrid.hh and onedgridentity.hh. I think in
all other grid implementation this problem also occurs and should be
fixed in the next time.

I think for the moment we should just test from time to time that the
code compiles. Having a automatic code compile testing system is nice,
but we should focus our strength on the real problems.

Cheers

   Robert Klöfkorn           <robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

   Mathematisches Institut              Tel: +49 (0) 761 203 5631
   Abt. für Angewandte Mathematik       Fax: +49 (0) 761 203 5632
   Universität Freiburg
   Hermann-Herder-Str. 10
   79104 Freiburg

   http://www.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/IAM/homepages/robertk