[Dune] Compiler.

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Fri May 20 09:52:23 CEST 2005

Hi guys!

> Sounds good. But also sounds like much work. I think we should stay focus on
> the real problem, wirting numerical code.

I think we should have automated build testings _because_ we can then
focus on the 'real' problems.  Whatever those are.  Just trying to build
Dune by hand once in a while on some odd machine takes much more effort
in the long run and never really yields sound results.  We will never
truly be able to claim that 'Dune runs on A, B, C with compilers D, E'.

I must say, however, that I don't think that it's of paramount importance
to have Dune compile with every compiler out there.  If a feature is
standard-conforming, and a compiler does not like it, I propose we do
not hack our code but suggest people use a better compiler.
Well, that's the purist view.  Let the flame war begin!

It is not known to me whether the above said applys to Roberts codim-
example.  Another little detail comes to my mind, though.  I think
that, because the struct codim is a, well, struct, it should be called
Codim, because that's what people expect from our naming conventions.

Have a good day,
Oliver