[Dune] Dunecontrol / Installation problems on MAC OS X

Oswald Benedikt Benedikt.Oswald at psi.ch
Mon Aug 7 22:47:16 CEST 2006

Hi Dune,

as I am currently trying to install Dune on Mac OS C I have encountered some problems.

1. the readlink command on MACOSX, used in the dunecontrol script, does not know the option
    canonicalize but only -f which according to the man page is synonymous, i.e.

READLINK(1)               BSD General Commands Manual              READLINK(1)

NAME
     readlink -- display target of symbolic link on standard output

SYNOPSIS
     readlink [-fn] file [...]

DESCRIPTION
     The readlink utility when invoked with the pathname of a symbolic link as
     its argument dereferences the symbolic link and prints the name of target
     on standard output.  When more then one pathname is given, readlink
     prints those symbolic links which have been found for the given path-
     names.  If readlink is invoked with an argument other than the pathname
     of a symbolic link, it exits with a non-zero exit code without printing
     anything.

     The following options are available:

     -f    Using realpath(3), canonicalize by following every symlink in every
           component of the given path recursively.  Note that the resultant
           pathname might not exist,

     -n    Do not print a trailing newline character.

     The readlink utility exits 0 on success or >0 if an error occurred.

NOTE
     Debian packages using readlink in maintainer scripts must depend on
     debianutils >= 1.13.1.  Multiple pathnames have been supported since ver-
     sion 1.23.

SEE ALSO
     readlink(2) realpath(3)

HISTORY
     The readlink utility first appeared in OpenBSD.

BSD                            November 19, 2002                           BSD

2. Once I have replaced  --canonicalize by -f this works fine, but I run into another problem:

oswalds-powerbook59:~/dune oswald$ ./dune-common/bin/dunecontrol --opts=dune.macosx.opts.txt all
./dune-common/bin/dunecontrol: eval: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `autogen'
.

I think this has to do with sometingh near the following secction in dunecontrol:
( I am however not that experienced with shell programming...):

###
### Commands
###

# list of all dunecontrol commands
COMMANDS="update autogen configure make all exec svn"

# help string for the commands
update_HELP="updated all modules from the repository"
autogen_HELP="run the autogen.sh script for each module"
configure_HELP="run configure for each module"
       # "NOTE: the --with-dune* parameters will be generated by dunecontrol"
make_HELP="run make for each module"
all_HELP="run the commands 'autogen' 'configure' and 'make' for each module"
       # "NOTE: run all for an initial setup"
exec_HELP="execute an arbitrary command in each module directory"

#
# setup command proxies
# call will be forwarded to run_default_$command
#

for command in $COMMANDS; do
  eval "run_$command () { run_default_$command; }"
done

It would be great if we could solve these problems, I think it would be a great expansion of
Dune's applicability, since a bunch of people might be interested in using it on Apple.

Have a great day! Benedikt

PS: my system is

oswalds-powerbook59:~/dune oswald$ uname -a
Darwin oswalds-powerbook59.local 8.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.7.0: Fri May 26 15:20:53 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.6.76.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

Benedikt Oswald, Dr. sc. techn., dipl. El. Ing. ETH, www.psi.ch, Computational Accelerator Scientist
Paul Scherrer  Institute (PSI), CH-5232 Villigen, Suisse, benedikt.oswald at psi.ch, +41(0)56 310 32 12
quamquam sint sub aqua, sub aqua maledicere temptant. http://maxwell.psi.ch/amaswiki/index.php/User:BenediktOswald