[Dune] boundary id

Andreas Dedner dedner at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Dec 12 10:45:27 CET 2006

Hi,
my view of boundary and domain ids:
1) at the moment domain ids defined for entiy 0 can be easily handle
  using discrete functions since suitable mappers and iterators are
  available so that I would suggest to keep everything as is in this
  repect for 1.0
2) boundary ids are a bit different since we have no iterators and
   no index sets for boundaries - in fact no concept of boundaries in
   Dune. It would be nice to at least be able to identify boundaries
   without having to rely on world coordinate information. This is
   why we introduce boundaryIDs for the boundary intersection. The
   semantics is - as I understand it:
   For each boundary intersection on the macro grid we can define an
   id (>0?). During refinement we have: if a boundary intersection I
   lies in a boundary intersection I_0 then it has the same boundary id
   as id...
Alberta/Alu work exactly in this way and the DGF parser can handle this
approach as well. YaspGrid only assignes ID for each whole face of the
domain. UG only returns a 1.

Andreas