[Dune] boundary id

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Tue Dec 12 13:34:13 CET 2006

Hi

> Hi,
> my view of boundary and domain ids:
> 1) at the moment domain ids defined for entiy 0 can be easily handle
>  using discrete functions since suitable mappers and iterators are
>  available so that I would suggest to keep everything as is in this
>  repect for 1.0

In my opinion, this is even the proper way to do it.  To me, domain
ids are not an intrinsic part of a grid but external data, and
should be handled as such.

> 2) boundary ids are a bit different since we have no iterators and
>   no index sets for boundaries - in fact no concept of boundaries in
>   Dune. It would be nice to at least be able to identify boundaries
>   without having to rely on world coordinate information. This is
>   why we introduce boundaryIDs for the boundary intersection. The
>   semantics is - as I understand it:
>   For each boundary intersection on the macro grid we can define an
>   id (>0?). During refinement we have: if a boundary intersection I
>   lies in a boundary intersection I_0 then it has the same boundary id
>   as id...

I agree that it would be nice to have proper boundary handling.  But
I don't think that it is a good idea to add more intermediate
functionality two weeks before creating a release branch.  Also,
personally, I do not have the resources to do the necessariy
adaptations in UGGrid.