[Dune] Roadmap to 1.0

Peter Bastian Peter.Bastian at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Feb 6 20:25:30 CET 2006

Robert Kloefkorn schrieb:

> 1) Entities for higher codims in Yasp- and UGGrid (Faces and Edges)
Please be realistic. That is impossible. We want 1.0 now. Besides I do
not see why this is really so important NOW. Yasp and UGGrid have
IndexSets for all codims and that is enough to do finite elements.
There is absolutely no man-power to do this.

> 2) unified communication for parallel grids (mainly work to do in ALUGrid)
There are no resources to do the parallelization of UGGrid NOW. This has
to wait for a later release.

> 3) backup and restore for Grids (mainly work in UGGrid, for all other
> it's implemented)
That is nice, and UG has backup and restore but there are no resources
to incorporate this for the 1.0 release.

> 4) Unified constructor for all grid was a point, but it seems like that
> only Freiburg agrees with that.
Why does it have to be unified? There should be some way to read a
unified coarse grid format in all grids.

Please let us be realistic. The aim is to have a stable and sufficiently
powerful 1.0 release of DUNE. Let us use the rest of the week to discuss
about the term "sufficiently powerful".

-- Peter
Peter Bastian, IWR,Uni Heidelberg, INF 348,R 020, 69120 Heidelberg
email: Peter.Bastian at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de   Tel: +49 6221 54 4984
WWW: http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/~Peter.Bastian Fax: ... 8860