[Dune] Usage of Barton-Nackman in DUNE expecially for documentation purposes

Peter Bastian Peter.Bastian at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jul 27 09:26:29 CEST 2006

Hello All,

Markus Blatt wrote:
> Hi,

Yes, I agree that BN adds a lot of complexity, especially for
implementors (and in case of communicate the user is an implementor). I
myself faltered often between using it or not for many of the reasons
you mentioned.

> So let us come to one point where Barton-Nackman is IMHO useful:
>
> It is very easy to provide default implementations of methods (which
> might not be optimized for the specific case, but still ok). Thus
> releasing the User or Developer from the burden of constantly
> reinventing the wheel for each special case and still give him the
> possiblity to rewrite some methods to gain more efficiency for his
> special implementation.

For me the main reason for using then BN is *that there is a base class
at all*, i.e.
you can tell the *implementor*: "Look, here is the base class (interface
with documentation of the methods, *without* implementation of the
methods) and you have to write just such a class". If you do not use BN
then you have to teach the implementor by example by showing him a
special implementation. And then he has to extract the interface from
the implementation which might become complex.

Just my opinion.

-- Peter
Peter Bastian, IWR,Uni Heidelberg, INF 348,R 020, 69120 Heidelberg
email: Peter.Bastian at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de   Tel: +49 6221 54 4984
WWW: http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/~Peter.Bastian Fax: ... 8860