[Dune] --with-problem-dim and --with-world-dim

Christian Engwer christi at uni-hd.de
Fri Jul 28 13:59:10 CEST 2006

Hi,

currently configure offers these two options:

  --with-problem-dim=2|3  which dimension of the problem
  --with-world-dim=2|3    which dimension of the world coordinates

this might lead a user to the assumption that he has to specify which
dimension dune should be using, which is not true.

Currently this option is only used by alberta.

I think it would be better to rename this option to
--with-alberta-dim=
and this option should then specify dim and dimw for alberta (or is it
possible to have a 2d albertagrid in 3d?)

Even if we will have new grids that need to specify the dimension at
compile time, it I think would be better not to stay with the
--with-problem-dim and --with-world-dim, because that would require
all of these grids to be of the same dimension, which is an artificial
restriction to the user. I think even (or especially) then we should
have different options for all these different grids.

If no one objects I would change the m4 files according to this proposal.