[Dune] inconsistency with intersection methods

Peter Bastian Peter.Bastian at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jun 27 05:11:57 CEST 2006

Dear Sreejith,

I think you are correct that there is an inconsistency in the
implementation. What is necessary is the following condition:

Let is be an IntersectionIterator with is.neighbor()==true and xi a
point in the local coordinate system of the intersection then

is.intersectionSelfLocal.global(xi) ==
is.intersectionNeighborLocal.global(xi) == is.intersectionGlobal.global(xi)

This condition has also been added by Mario in the theory part of the
Dune paper.

Question: Do we all agree on this (I do!).

Best,

Peter

Sreejith Pulloor Kuttanikkad wrote:
> Duneler,
>

> I am still not very clear on the point that when evaluating the global
> coordinate of an intersection point from either side how one can get different global value for same point ( i think the orientation matters here.. that means one should be aware of how the orintation is defined locally.. )
> I would assume that when finding a global coordinate of an
> intersection point from both sides of the intersection one should get
> the same value irrespective of orientation.
> However when i use UG and Alberta grid i do not get the same
> value whereas with Sgrid and Yaspgrid I get same value. I feel like
> there is some inconsistency in the implementation of intersection methods in
> different grids. (i dont know if i understood something wrongly)
>
> thanks,
> Sreejith

Peter Bastian, IWR,Uni Heidelberg, INF 348,R 020, 69120 Heidelberg
email: Peter.Bastian at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de   Tel: +49 6221 54 4984
WWW: http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/~Peter.Bastian Fax: ... 8860