[Dune] GitterPapier

Peter Bastian Peter.Bastian at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu May 11 10:20:55 CEST 2006

Dear all,

I have started to work on our grid paper (as you might have guessed from
the log messages). I hope that we agree that this paper is important and
should get some priority.

I have checked with Computing and I think our paper would be very well
in focus of that journal. I checked in the instructions for authors
(instr_print_00607.050317.pdf). The format is TeX without additional
packages (this is not possible, but we should be restrictive). Second,
it should be not much more than 20 pages (and there is not much on a
page in 12pt).

So much for the technical side. Now for the content. I have written the
"abstract grid definition" part and there is only the parallelization
missing (well it will need some polishing, though). The other two
important parts are now the interface in terms of C++ classes and the
results section. The question is, who volunteers to write which part?

I would volunteer to write the introduction (to be done rather late). It
is also clear that the results should be written by those who contribute
the results. That leaves us with the "interface definition part". May be
we should first discuss how this could be represented best as there is
not enough space to explain all the methods in detail (even to mention
all the methods). It would also be important to explain the interface in
terms of the theoretical concepts in the first part of the paper,
otherwise it makes no sense to present the theory.

Please have a look at what I have written so far and give your comments.
The source is available from hal via CVS (not svn!). The repository is
named "GitterPapier".

Best,

-- Peter

P.S.: I would like to make a remark on the author list of this paper.
Meanwhile it is the policy of most journals that every author of a paper
must have made a substantial TECHNICAL contribution to the paper (its
contents and/or its writing). There is no such thing as "honour
authorship". Since I do not exactly know who contributed to what extend,
I would suggest that each group (FR/B/HD) puts forward a list of authors
that should be included. Please, do not see this remark as an insult, of
course there are obvious authors. It is just that we cannot put everyone
on the paper if he/she contributed a few lines of code.

Peter Bastian, IWR,Uni Heidelberg, INF 348,R 020, 69120 Heidelberg
email: Peter.Bastian at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de   Tel: +49 6221 54 4984
WWW: http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/~Peter.Bastian Fax: ... 8860