[Dune] GitterPapier

Mario Ohlberger mario at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu May 11 17:48:19 CEST 2006

Dear all,

   from the Freiburg team Robert, Andreas and myself should be on the
list of authors. Concerning our contributions, we will give a detailed
statement after our next internal DUNE meeting, which takes place next
Monday.

Concerning the journal, we should probably also take into concideration
to submit the paper to SIAM J. Sci. Comp. to get a broader audience.

What do you think.

Best regards,

Mario.

Peter Bastian wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have started to work on our grid paper (as you might have guessed from
> the log messages). I hope that we agree that this paper is important and
> should get some priority.
>
> I have checked with Computing and I think our paper would be very well
> in focus of that journal. I checked in the instructions for authors
> (instr_print_00607.050317.pdf). The format is TeX without additional
> packages (this is not possible, but we should be restrictive). Second,
> it should be not much more than 20 pages (and there is not much on a
> page in 12pt).
>
> So much for the technical side. Now for the content. I have written the
> "abstract grid definition" part and there is only the parallelization
> missing (well it will need some polishing, though). The other two
> important parts are now the interface in terms of C++ classes and the
> results section. The question is, who volunteers to write which part?
>
> I would volunteer to write the introduction (to be done rather late). It
> is also clear that the results should be written by those who contribute
> the results. That leaves us with the "interface definition part". May be
> we should first discuss how this could be represented best as there is
> not enough space to explain all the methods in detail (even to mention
> all the methods). It would also be important to explain the interface in
> terms of the theoretical concepts in the first part of the paper,
> otherwise it makes no sense to present the theory.
>
> Please have a look at what I have written so far and give your comments.
> The source is available from hal via CVS (not svn!). The repository is
> named "GitterPapier".
>
> Best,
>
> -- Peter
>
> P.S.: I would like to make a remark on the author list of this paper.
> Meanwhile it is the policy of most journals that every author of a paper
> must have made a substantial TECHNICAL contribution to the paper (its
> contents and/or its writing). There is no such thing as "honour
> authorship". Since I do not exactly know who contributed to what extend,
> I would suggest that each group (FR/B/HD) puts forward a list of authors
> that should be included. Please, do not see this remark as an insult, of
> course there are obvious authors. It is just that we cannot put everyone
> on the paper if he/she contributed a few lines of code.

  Dr. Mario Ohlberger		     Tel.: +49-761/203-5635
  Abteilung f. Angewandte Mathematik Fax.: +49-761/203-5632
  Universitaet Freiburg
  Hermann-Herder-Str. 10
  D-79104 Freiburg

  E-Mail: mario at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de