[Dune] Feature of VariableBlockVector?

Markus Blatt Markus.Blatt at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Nov 3 14:46:19 CET 2006

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 04:10:21PM +0100, Leidenberger Patrick wrote:

> the docu for the VariableBlockVector tells that the constructor with
> variable elment size (VariableBlockVector(int _nblocks)) is not
> available at the moment.

the documentation is misleading here. It intends to point out that the
vector is not usable yet as it's internal structure (the individual
block sizes) is not yet known.

One has to set this up before usage:

Let vec be the vector of Type Vec constructed, then

typename Vec::CreateIterator iter = vec.createbegin;

while(iter != vec.createend()){
  iter.setblocksize(100);
  ++iter;
}

creates the internal structure of the block. (Bad example as all
blocks have the same size!).

> Can anybody tell me what the timescale for this feature will be, and
> how I can ship arround?
>
> I need a vector of vectors. The inner vectors have different sizes,
> only known at runtime.

I have to point though that there is currently no variable size
matrix, which means that linear algebra is not yet possible.

There is no timline for implementing that matrix yet. As we did not
need it. Do you need it?

Cheers,

Markus