[Dune] Feature of VariableBlockVector?

Christian Engwer christi at uni-hd.de
Fri Nov 3 16:46:16 CET 2006

Hello Patrick,

> the docu for the VariableBlockVector tells that the constructor with
> variable elment size (VariableBlockVector(int _nblocks)) is not
> available at the moment.
>
> Can anybody tell me what the timescale for this feature will be, and
> how I can ship arround?

The idea of VariableBlockVector was to ave a faster replacement for
constructs like

BlockVector< BlockVector< FieldVector<double,1> > >

This type of vector allows you tell at runtime how big the outer
BlockVector is _and_ to choose a different size for each inner
BlockVector. The disadvantage is that it does not perform too well,
because te data is not stored in a consecutive array, but is spread
through out your memory. The usage of this will be quite similar to
std::vector< std::vector<double> >.

But are you sure that VariableBlockVector does not work? What I recall
is that the VariableBlockMatrix is not yet implementet.