[Dune] Release 1.0.

Markus Blatt Markus.Blatt at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Oct 17 13:24:28 CEST 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 09:51:10AM +0200, Robert Kloefkorn wrote:
> Hello Dune,
>
> I suggest to announce an official release date for DUNE version 1.0.
> >From my point of view this should be the 12/31 this year or maybe the
> 24th (so we can make ourselfs a little X-mas present). Until then we
> have time to fix up the tutorial, because there is still a lot work to
> be done (include DGF Parser, Visualization things and so on, docu, docu,
> docu). Also we can test the tar-ball installations and gain stabilty
> until then. Remember, it's only two month and some weeks and usually the
> end of the year is packed with things to do. So two month is not so much
> time. But I think we should not wait any longer for releasing DUNE 1.0.

I think we all agree that a release should be made as soon as
possible.

But lately it seems that compilation error are accumulating again:
Currently the automated tests report 1975 errors in dune-grid!!
Looking in more detail they splitup to 693 errors in the dgf parser
and the rest is reported in dune-grid/grid/test where the majority of
errors occur in the tests for alugrid and albertagrid.

Other issues are the various bug reports marked as due 1.0. that are
currently 13 (that's reasonable).

I think that a release date should be realistic. As the majority of
the obviuous problems are currently in the sections above, I think the
people with more insight should try to estimate how long this takes
(and be realistic). Or maybe we can try to bring down the error
numbers to a reasonable value and then try to proclaim a release date.

I think Olaf once said how one should estimate time needed for
development:

1. Take the time you think you need to fullfill the requirements
without any stress and even if the you assume the worst possible case.
2. Multiply be 3

Olaf please correct me if I got that wrong.

Just me two cents.

Regards,

Markus Blatt