[Dune] Re: Notification from Dune

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 18 14:32:30 CEST 2006

Hi Dune!
For me this is currently not an urgent issue, because I have long
ago written a wrapper around the ReferenceElements class that
corrects the inconsistencies in the ordering for me.  It goes
without saying that this is not an elegant solution, but it works
for me(TM).

The reason why I never just went out and fixed the problem is that
the reference cubes are really constructed through an algorithm
for all dimensions at once, and I never had the nerve to try and
understand that.  A second consequence is that I suppose that
there are similar problems with 3d cubes.  I never checked because
I don't use cube grids a lot.

My bottom line is: of course I would like to have this fixed
rather sooner than later.  On the other hand, it's not urgent.
I think generally Christian is right in saying that one should
not have semantic changes once an official version is released.
However relying on the ordering of the vertices of faces is a
rather obscure feature and I think hardly anybody uses that
anyways.

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Institut für Mathematik II   ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *