[Dune] Re: Notification from Dune

Oliver Sander sander at mi.fu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 18 15:59:02 CEST 2006

No, it is not a problem of the library.  For the library it is
reasonable to expect that its input surface is consistently
oriented so it can compute consistent normals.

Consider the reference quad.

2----3
|    |
|    |
0----1

I want to extract the boundary and hand it over to my library.
Ideally I would extract

(0,1)
(1,3)
(3,2)
(2,0)

so the library knows that when it goes from p to q on (p,q), the
outward normal is pointing to its right.  But instead the
reference element yields

(0,1)  (outward normal to the right)
(2,3)  (outward normal to the left)

And the external library can't determine the correct normal anymore.

hope this helps,

* Oliver Sander                ** email: sander at mi.fu-berlin.de        *
* Freie Universität Berlin     ** phone: + 49 (30) 838 75217           *
* Institut für Mathematik II   ** URL  : page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~sander  *
* 14195 Berlin, Germany        ** Member of MATHEON (www.matheon.de)   *