[Dune] Re: [Dune-CVS] dune-web r262 - layout

Sven Marnach sven at pantoffel-wg.de
Wed Apr 18 00:09:55 CEST 2007

Nicolas Neuss schrieb am Mo, 16. Apr 2007, um 15:27:51 +0200:
> Sven Marnach <sven at pantoffel-wg.de> writes:
> > Q: I see. So, what restrictions are there on programs that use the
> >    library?
> > A: None. We encourage such programs to be released as open source, but
> >    we won't punish you or sue you if you choose otherwise.
>
> I don't know from where the FAQ gets this interpretation.  As much as I
> know, for the FSF, "free" is more or less equivalent with GPL, LGPL (maybe
> BSD too).
>
> > I think I mistook the "free software library" to be the piece of
> > software using the source file in question.
>
> That is also how I understand it.

If you take it that way and take free as "GPL", there wouldn't be any
exception at all.  I think the "free software library" is the library
which includes the source file covered by the exception.  Again, the
source of the confusion seems to be that the license exception of
libstdc++ is an exception on per-file basis.

> In general, I do not like deriving from a licence which explicitly forbids
> modification.  That is, as soon as you modify GPL (or LGPL), you do not
> have GPL anymore.

We decided in favor of this license on the DUNE meeting in February
because the LGPL isn't suitable for template libraries and this
exception seems to be the standard way to work around this problem.

Regards,
    Sven