[Dune] [Dune-Commit] dune-common r5021 - in trunk/doc: . devel doxygen

Robert Kloefkorn robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Dec 7 15:33:34 CET 2007

Hello Markus,

> Configure should definitely not fail if wml is not found as dune is
> perfectly usable from source in this case. Only installation and
> tarball building will not work. (Maybe a warning at the end of
> configure would be nice).

Just be sure that I understood correctly, the solution for the WML case
is the following:

If wml is not found, the at the end of configure a warning occurs and
make dist will fail with a proper error output.

> It still do not regard this as useful but I agree that it is a problem
> if there no error during make dist and the tarballs cannot be
> installed.

For the documentation you suggest the following:

Sources configured with --disable-documentation will fail with a proper
error output.

Here from our point of view it is very useful to have the feature of
building tar balls without documentation.

> It still do not regard this as useful but I agree that it is a problem
> if there no error during make dist and the tarballs cannot be
> installed.

I would propose either throwing an error during make dist (when
configured with disable-documentation) or just ignore
disable-documentation in this case if doxygen and wml are installed.

> The errors you get are due to the fact that the generated filename are
> to long. I got this error before my changes. This can be switched of by
> a special tar option.

I know this error and the resolution. Actually before it was used when
doing make dist (and it is even now used, if wml is
installed).  It was not used when doing make, as the long filenames
are better readable for the webpages.

> As I stated before now it is not working without wml right now.

I do not understand. The WML things I changed just use the WML
conditional consequently. What exactly is not working? Maybe we should
adapt the Makefiles to work as suggested above.

Regards

Robert

--

  Robert Klöfkorn           <robertk at mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>

  Mathematisches Institut              Tel: +49 (0) 761 203 5631
  Abt. für Angewandte Mathematik       Fax: +49 (0) 761 203 5632
  Universität Freiburg
  Hermann-Herder-Str. 10
  79104 Freiburg

  http://www.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/IAM/homepages/robertk